Thursday, December 15, 2016
Although using a hobby laser cutter is easy and intuitive once you get the hang of it, starting out can sometimes be a little intimidating. To better understand and utilize their laser cutters, Muse (and Hobby-Series) owners will have access to Full Spectrum Laser’s free online “Laser 101” lessons.
Course is divided into three levels of difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate, and Maker. Within each category there are four projects to build. Step-by-step
instructions are provided, along with the design files. Students will need to
supply materials. Below I have posted one project from each level.
Beginner lessons walk through the basics of laser cutting. The four projects will teach you how to use the software and explain the nuances involved with rastering, vectoring, and workflow.
· Experiment with rastering techniques to create photorealistic engravings.
· Use RetinaEngrave’s design feature to create simple vectors.
· Learn to import existing files and adjust cut settings.
· Use color properties to order vector cuts
· Learn to optimize workflow by doing a raster then a vector in one cut.
· Optimize workflow using raster engravings and ordered
Intermediate lessons will teach different techniques that must be applied outside of our software. We will not go into specifics about teaching 3rd party design software, but we’ll include information that will aid Muse users in creating future projects by applying these techniques.
· Understand stacking design and techniques.
· Understand the concept of kerf bending.
· Learn to use the camera feature to create an image and align engravings.
· Create multiple game die by understanding the different kinds of joints.
Maker lessons will be constantly replenished with recent projects. At this point, students are expected to understand all the basics and apply multiple techniques.
· By now, students should have the freedom to pick any project and be able to understand the terminology and techniques required to complete them.
These lessons will be available at our website in the near future to compliment our launch of Muse. And they are free! Key an eye on our social media for more information.